“La Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas” was built in 1929 and was inaugurated in 1931. It is the most important bullring in the World, a temple for real ‘aficionados’ who know how to appreciate a good bullfight, who relate to the fierceness within the ‘matador’ and who wait in anticipation for the bullfight to progress according to tradition.
This bullring was designed by an architect called Espeliú. Its style is Mozarabic with pottery incrustations. It has a seating capacity for 25.000 spectators. The seats are situated in 10 “tendidos”. The price of the seats depend upon how close they are to the “arena” and whether they are in the sun or the shade (the latter being more expensive). The bullfighting season starts in March and ends in October, and are celebrated everyday during the San Isidro Fiesta, and every Sunday or holiday during the season. Bullfights start at 6 or 7pm and last for two to three hours.
“La Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas” is located in the east of Madrid city centre.
La Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas is divided in a ring or “arena”, and a group of dependances called “patios”. Its architecture is mozarabic, with pottery incrustations with the shields of the different Spanish provinces on them. The “arena” has a diameter of 60m. The seating capacity is divided in 10 “tendidos” (group of 27 rows around the “arena”), some of them in the shade and the rest in the sun. The prices of the tickets are more expensive in the shade and in the rows which are nearer to the “arena” or crowned by bleachers, gradins, boxes and covered grandstands.
In “Las Ventas” you can also find a small hospital and the chapel. The chapel has two operating rooms, the doctor´s office and a waiting room. In a Mexican style, it was built by the architect Manuel Muñoz Monasterio, which has a painting of “La Virgen de la Paloma” in the altar.